This is chewy coconut goodness. If you are coconut lover, I bet you will like these. I had been making coconut biscuits for some time normally using the fresh coconut fruit. It mostly turned out soft since the fruit had moisture in it. It was OK but sometimes you just want something chewy to nibble on. In this recipe, I used desiccated coconut, (dried coconut flakes) and it brought out the “chewiness” in this biscuits.
Yields: 18-20 biscuits
Preparation and cooking time: 50 minutes maximum
2 cups or 230g desiccated coconut plus ¼ cup for dough rolling
½ cup or 113g margarine
¼ cup or 50g sugar
1 cup or 113g pastry flour
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pre-heat an oven to 200˚ and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Sift flour and baking powder together and set aside.
- Put margarine and sugar in a mixing bowl and mix till well incorporated.
- Add in 2 cups of desiccated coconut and mix.
- Add egg and vanilla essence and mix.
- Add in sifted flour and baking powder, mixing till well incorporated.
- Scoop tablespoons of the dough, roll into balls and dip into remaining ¼ cup of desiccated coconut making sure it’s well covered in it.
- Arrange dough balls on a baking sheet and bake till its lightly golden for about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool on baking sheets for about 2 minutes and transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
*This is chewy not too sweet.
* Check the biscuits at the 25th minute to prevent burning.
* I realised the flavor of the biscuits intensifies the next day.